Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Planting

I planted my seeds on April 14th.  The first thing that I did was number each row of my trays so I would be able to keep track of everything.  I have 24 rows of pellets, and I purchased 24 different types of seed.  Each row has six pellets, so I will have six of each plant to start.  Let me tell you how much I love the Jiffy seed trays.  All I had to do was add 10.5 cups of warm water to each tray and watch the magic happen.  After about 30 seconds or so the peat capsules started growing from 1/2 inch tall mini pellets to 1.5 inch tall super seed carriers.  Next, I used a couple of toothpicks to pull back the netting on the top of each pellet and to fluff the surface peat to prepare for seeds.

I can't believe how small some of the seeds were!  Mint, Basil, & Green Beans (Smallest to Largest)

I talked about how my seeds were organized in a previous post, but they were basically organized into three groups:  Herbs, Veggies, and Lettuce.  The Jiffy instructions said to sow 2-3 seeds in each pellet, but I realized after the first tray that I am going to have my hands full enough without ending up with close to 500 plants.  So I only planted a single seed in each pellet of the second tray.  Once the seeds were in, I covered them with a little dirt, put the covers on the trays, and called it a day.  Hopefully within a couple days we will see some sprouts shooting up!
Tray #1.  Freshly planted and full of potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment