Monday, April 15, 2013

Forks Over Knives

My girlfriend and I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives this past weekend.  Actually, she was already watching it when I came home one night.  I remember putting up a fuss and saying something to the tune of, "Do we really have to watch this?"  But what an experience it was!  I was hooked as soon as I sat down, and I felt a whole range of emotions as I continued watching.  At first I felt threatened by the ideas presented in the film, as they are contradictory to what I have always been taught to believe about food.  Next I felt duped, tricked and swindled by government and industry who have used money, power and influence to push their food agenda.  I also felt disgusted, unhealthy and frightened with regard to what must be going on in my own body.  But the good thing is that the studies and data that was discussed in the film has also inspired me to rethink the way that I eat.



I knew I needed to make a change, but we rent a townhome which limits my potential to garden and really take what I eat into my own hands.  So this blog will be dedicated to answering the question:  How do I create a bountiful garden, in a small space, that I don't own, without digging in the ground?  In the end, this should be a guide for anyone who has a patio or balcony and who has the desire to grow some food.

My following posts will discuss seed selection, supplies, planting, harvesting and many other topics.  I welcome any questions, criticism, advice, and comments as we watch my plants go from seed to the dinner plate.  I know I'm going to learn a ton.  Thanks for joining in on the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment